- What is copyediting? Copyediting is the process of going through a manuscript line by line and correcting it for errors in grammar, punctuation, spelling, consistency, and formatting.
- How do I choose a copyeditor? It’s best to go with someone who has copyedited many manuscripts and whose copyedited manuscripts have been accepted for publication by reputable presses.
- How much does copyediting cost? It depends on the manuscript you have. You can arrange for your copyeditor to charge you by the page, the hour, or the job. He or she can review your manuscript, estimate how much time it will take to do the editing, and suggest a fee. You can also ask the copyeditor to edit a section so that you can review the work before turning over the entire manuscript.
- How long does copyediting take? This also depends on the manuscript. If it requires heavy editing or rewriting, a good copyeditor will be able to finish two to three pages an hour. If the manuscript requires medium-level editing, the copyeditor should be able to finish four to five pages an hour.
- Can you give some examples of recent work you’ve done and the cost of those? Two recent projects cost $2,000 each. One was a 200-page book for which we did the typesetting, layout, design, and some proofreading; the client was the publisher. Another project was a manuscript over 300 pages long; the client was the author. Depending on the circumstances of the client, we can adjust our fee.
- Can you design websites? Yes, we can, but depending on what the client wants, we may refer him or her to a company whose principal service is web design. The Peak Services site was designed by Pat using a WordPress template. If you want to consider WordPress for your site or blog, please contact us and we’ll prepare an estimate of our fees for you.
- What other services do you provide? We recently helped a small company with the design of its logo. Two things made this particularly challenging and rewarding: we’d never designed a logo before, and the company’s product is a multimedia one.
- Can you provide services for small projects, such as newsletters or brochures? Yes! Just use our contact form to describe your project, and we’ll let you know how we can help.
- Is it possible to summarize the production process? Here is a try.